Policies, Terms and Conditions
It is your responsibility to check your booking confirmation carefully as soon as you receive it and contact us immediately if any information on the confirmation appears to be incorrect or incomplete as it may not be possible to make changes later. Please review your confirmation information carefully.
Cancellation policy: SBACo pays out considerable costs prior to the start of all trips. A full refund, minus a $35.00 per person processing fee, is available up to 7 days prior to the trip. No refund will be granted for a cancellation within 7 days of the trip. Reservations booked within 7 days of the trip are non-refundable. SBACo reserves the right to cancel, reschedule or adjust the trip due to dangerous weather conditions.
Date change policy: You may rescheduled for a different date or tour up to 7 days prior to the trip for an additional 15% processing fee, subject to availability. Any subsequent rescheduling will also be subject to this fee.
Missed ferry/charter boat policy: Your confirmation has the proper checkin time for your activity. You should be ready to depart at that time. Please allow adequate time for travel, parking and checking in to make your boat. If you are late, you will miss the boat as it will not wait. If you miss your ferry or charter boat, you will not be issued a refund. Please don't ask.
Guests under 18 years of age MUST have a parent or legal guardian sign their release forms.
If you need this paperwork sent to you ahead of time, please contact our office.
Lost or Stolen Items: Santa Barbara Adventure Company/Channel Islands Adventure Company is not responsible for items that are lost or stolen on your trip. Please make sure you have all your personal items with you at the end of your trip. Thank you.
Gift Certificates: Gift certificates are not redeemable for horseback riding, paragliding or rock climbing. Gift Certificates are non-refundable. All trips are available at various points throughout the year and have minimum numbers for booking.
Please note your own Client Responsibilities: All clients will be required to follow the safety policies and procedures of Santa Barbara Adventure Company/Channel Islands Adventure Company and its guides and all clients will be required to sign a Participant Assumption of Risks, Acknowledgment of Inherent Risks and Indemnity Agreement in favor of Santa Barbara Adventure Company/Channel Islands Adventure Company upon their arrival. Our staff will give instructions before each trip and it is important that you listen and do as they say. You will assume the responsibility for many decisions affecting your safety during this trip. These activities can be physically demanding with inherent elements of risk and danger beyond our control. We do not assume liability for personal injury or death. We offer trips requiring various degrees of fitness. We are not qualified to evaluate your fitness as appropriate for any given trip. If you are overweight or in poor physical condition or have other health concerns, you should consult your physician before the trip.
- Channel Islands Adventure Co. guides will be present outside the Island Packers ferry building for guest check-in.
- Please arrive one hour before your ferry departs. The 11:00am start time is a meeting time ON ISLAND. Please confirm your FERRY TIME, which is generally 8 or 9am (with a 7am or 8am check-in).
- Departure time is listed in your confirmation email. Ferry tickets will be provided by your guides at check-in.
- If you have booked your tickets separately, check your Island Packers confirmation for check-in and departure times.
- The boat leaves promptly at the scheduled time and will not wait
WHERE TO MEET
Island Packers:1691 Spinnaker Dr #105B
Ventura, CA 93001
Phone: 805 642 1393
- *Please allow at least 35 minutes to drive from Santa Barbara to Ventura
*On occasion our guides camp the night before on Santa Cruz Island. When this happens we will notify you in advance that your guide will meet you at Scorpion Anchorage on Santa Cruz Island, instead of at the Ventura Harbor. You will need to pick up your tickets from the Island Packers office at the Ventura Harbor, board the boat, and get off at the first stop.
Southbound 101 (from Santa Barbara): Take Seaward Ave. exit. Turn left on Harbor Blvd. Go approximately 1 ¾ miles. Turn right onto Spinnaker Dr. After ½ mile you will see a parking lot on your right. Park and look for the Island Packers
Northbound 101: Take Victoria Ave. exit. Turn left onto Victoria Ave., go ½ mile, turn right onto Olivas Park Dr. This will take you to The Ventura Harbor and become Spinnaker Dr. After ½ mile you will see a parking lot on your right. Park and look for the Island Packers dock/office.
WHEN DO WE RETURN?
Arrival time back to Ventura Harbor varies by day and ranges between 5:00pm and 7:00pm. Your guide will inform you of your return time upon check-in. If you would like to know your exact return time in advance, please call or email us.
WHERE DO WE PARK?
There are no fees for parking. All overnight visitors will need to acquire a Parking Pass at check-in and park in the long-term parking.
GEAR TO PACK
- We recommend watching this helpful video on "What to Pack and Know for Your Channel Islands Tour"
- Swimsuit or swim trunks – To save time, we recommend wearing your bathing suit under your clothes in the morning; however, there is a changing area on the Island if needed.
- Sun Protection – A hat, sunglasses with a neck strap and sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) is all recommended.
- Water bottle – 1-quart (or greater) full, we will provide additional potable water
- Clothing – Synthetic sweatshirt or layers as well as a windbreaker for the boat ride. Please dress in layers, wearing synthetic clothing (avoid cotton if possible).
- Day Pack
- Hiking/Running Shoes
- Cash (optional) – If you want to tip your guide. It is customary, but always optional, to tip your guide (10-15% is standard).
- Glasses (optional) – If you require glasses we strongly recommend wearing contacts on the day of your tour.
- Seasickness medication (optional)
- Waterproof camera (optional)
- Gloves (optional) – Can be helpful to protect against abrasive cave surfaces.
- Limit the weight of any one item to no more than 45 pounds.
- Single-Use Plastic Bags are banned within the Channel Islands National Park, please bring reusable bags.
WHERE DO WE KEEP OUR THINGS WHILE SNORKELING?
While we are snorkeling you can store your extra belongings in our storage box on the Island. Please watch this helpful video for tips to keep Island Foxes and Ravens away from your things.
WHERE CAN WE BUY FOOD?
Food is NOT INCLUDED in your trip and there are no food vendors on the island. There is a snack bar on the boat but we recommend bringing lunch, snacks, and water. Bring a small snack in a waterproof container to eat during the snorkel tour (e.g. granola bar, fruit or trail mix). Here are some options for buying food in or close to Ventura Harbor
- Vons opens at 6am is just a 2-minutes drive from Island Packers. 2433 E Harbor Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001, (805) 642-6761.
TOUR ITINERARY REMINDER
- Your morning will begin at the Island Packers ferry dock, to get to Santa Cruz Island you must reserve a ferry ticket in advance. You can do this through our checkout when you book online or book directly with Island Packers.
- You’ll meet your Channel Islands Adventure Company guides just outside of the Island Packers building. Your guide will have your tickets.
- The ferry ride is generally 1-1.5 hours depending on wildlife sightings.
- After arriving to Scorpion Anchorage on Santa Cruz Island, you’ll meet your guides at the snorkel staging area at the following times:
- Morning tour - 11:00am Afternoon tour - 1:30pm
The Island Packers crew or Channel Islands National Park rangers can assist in pointing you in the right direction towards our snorkel prep area. After suiting up in all necessary gear our guides will offer basic snorkeling instruction and a safety talk. We will then begin the guided snorkel tour in Scorpion Anchorage. Before or after your tour we highly recommend hiking to Cavern Point and Potato Harbor (free guided hikes are available most mornings with a Channel Islands Naturalist Corps volunteer), swimming, bird watching, a picnic lunch or spending time exploring the visitor’s center.
The Channel Islands National Park is a remote location and there are no medical services on the islands. Please bring any medications you may need and plan accordingly. Dangerous conditions may exist at any time of the year, and we cannot guarantee snorkel. Children under 12 years old must be accompanied by an adult and be comfortable swimming in the ocean.
WEATHER CANCELLATION POLICY FOR CHARTER BOAT
In case of unfavorable weather or sea conditions, the charter boat company will cancel at 5:30am on the day of your trip. On the morning of your departure, after 5:30am, please call 805-642-1393, select option 4 and listen for the status of your trip.
HOW TO AVOID SEASICKNESS
1) Rest. A body that is well-rested is better able to handle the stressors associated with traveling.
2) Stability. Avoid sitting inside in the galley; choose a seat on the lower deck, outside, at the stern of the boat.
3) Sit. Do not stand. Standing will have your body in a constant state of trying to maintain balance.
4) Focus. Keep your eyes focused on the horizon or on a stationary object that is off in the distance.
5) Don’t read. Reading can trigger a sudden onset of motion sickness.
6) Don’t travel on a full or empty stomach. If you start to feel ill, eat some crackers and a carbonated beverage to settle your stomach.
7) Hydrate. Dehydration while traveling can aggravate motion sickness. Drink plenty of water.
8) Dramamine or Bonine. Take over-the-counter medication for motion sickness or an over-the-counter antihistamine, especially if you are a person that knows they are susceptible to motion sickness. These medications can make you drowsy or cause other side effects so use them with caution.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL OUR OFFICE. Thank you!